Lawyers from ministries of finance of member countries involved in legal aspects of fiscal policy making.
Participants are expected to be qualified lawyers with a background advising ministries of finance or other state agencies on legal aspects of fiscal policy making or on drafting fiscal legislation. Attendance is by invitation only. Prerequisites are specified in invitation letters.
This course, presented by the IMF's Legal Department, focuses on legal design aspects of current issues related to fiscal and tax laws. It covers a wide range of topics currently on the agenda of fiscal policy makers around the world, in particular in this era of fiscal tightening. Examples of issues to be covered include:
- budget law issues such as sound legal principles for organic budget laws, designing fiscal rules, fiscal coordination in a federal context, and the role of fiscal councils;
- aspects of public debt management (PDM) and securities, including legal and institutional aspects of PDM and the issuance of public debt securities;
- designing legal frameworks for sovereign wealth funds and state owned enterprises; and
- current taxation issues on the agenda of tax law policymakers (such as cross-border and base erosion issues) and the tax law design of instruments in the areas of income tax and general consumption taxes (e.g., VAT) to address them.
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Explain the linkages between various aspects of the fiscal law framework and their implications.
- Identify key legal and current policy issues in various aspects of fiscal law, and best practice approaches to addressing them, including through law reform.
- Identify legal design approaches that have proven effective, based on cross-jurisdictional experiences shared by presenters and fellow participants.
Important Note for Online Courses:
For Online Learning (OL) courses, which are delivered through the edX platform, you will need an additional piece of information to register: you will be prompted for your edX.org username. If you do not already have a username, please go to https://courses.edx.org/register
and sign up for a free account. Once you have created an account, you may complete the IMF Institute application. If you already have an edX account, your username can be found on the top right of the screen after logging in.
Important Note for Internal Economics Training Courses:
Internal Economics Training (IT) courses are self-financed. The IMF will not charge officials for attending courses. However, all travel, insurance, hotel, and living costs will need to be covered by the agency sponsoring the participants.